Parker House Rolls
By Carla Music
- 3 T Sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 Packet instant yeast
- 1/4 C Shortening
- 1 C Milk
- 1 Large egg
- 3 1/2 C All-purpose flour
- 1/4 C Butter, melted
- 3 pch Flaky salt
We're making Parker House Rolls!
- For the dough: 3 Tbsp sugar, 1.5 tsp kosher salt, 1/4 cup shortening, 1 cup warm milk. Whisk together.
- Add 1 packet instant yeast dissolved in 1/4 cup warm water, and a large egg.
- Add 3.5 cups all-purpose flour to the milk mixture.
- Mix until a dough forms. You can do this by hand if you want.
- Knead until smooth, 5 minutes.
- Let dough rise until doubled, 1.5 hours.
- Turn out dough on a lightly floured surface.
- Divide into four pieces.
- Roll out to a rectangle roughly 12" x 6".
- Divide into 3 strips.
- Then into 9 rectangles.
- Brush one half with melted butter.
- Fold and shingle into buttered 9" x 13" pan.
- Chill 30 minutes.
- Brush with melted butter.
- Sprinkle with flaky salt.
- Bake at 350F till golden and puffed, about 30 minutes. Ta-da!