Mom's Chicken Noodle Soup
By Amy Currie
- 4 lb Chicken wings
- 1 Onion
- 3 Carrots
- 3 Celery stalks
- 1 Parsnip
- 1 Handful fresh dill
- 1 tsp Black peppercorns
- 1 C Uncooked egg noodles
Homemade chicken noodle soup is so easy to make and so much better than store bought. Perfect for a cold winter day.
- Wash and roughly chop the onion (unpeeled), two carrots, two celery stalks and the parsnip
- Add chicken wings, chopped vegetables and peppercorns to 3 quarts of water and bring to a simmer.
- Once the stock comes to a simmer, skim the surface occasionally then cover and continue cooking for 2 hours.
- Line a colander with several layers of paper towels and place it over another large pot. Strain chicken stock into the new pot.
- Remove the chicken from the wings and add it to the broth along with 1 peeled and chopped carrot and a chopped celery stalk. Add 1 cup of egg noodles (they can cook in the broth). Season with salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook uncovered 10 more minutes.
- Adjust the seasoning for salt if necessary and serve.