Macaroni And Cheese
By Amy Currie
- 4 T Unsalted butter
- 4 T Flour
- 4 C Whole milk
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt, divided
- 5 C Cheddar cheese, grated, divided
- 1 lb Macaroni, cooked
- 1 C Ritz crackers, crushed
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
Nothing's better than homemade macaroni and cheese from scratch
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter, then whisk in flour. Cook until mixture is bubbly and doesn't look "raw".
- Add milk, a little at a time, whisking constantly to make a sauce. Keep the heat at a low simmer which will help thicken the sauce.
- When all of the milk is added and simmered, the sauce will be rich and thick. It should cling to a wooden spoon.
- Turn off the heat and add mustard and four cups of cheese. Stir until cheese is melted. Season the cheese sauce with 1 teaspoon salt or to taste.
- Fold in cooked macaroni, stirring gently, then place in an oven-proof casserole dish.
- Make the crumb topping by combining Ritz crackers, 1 cup of cheese, ½ teaspoon salt and garlic powder and sprinkle on top. Bake covered for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 more minutes
- Cook until brown and bubbly then serve.